Sometimes, I go hard on the president, especially when I see him playing softball with the
Republicans who want to see him fail. But no matter how hard I go on him, it’s all out of love for the man I voted for. This time, I believe he deserves to be praised for such an outstanding cruise to the finish line.
In this lame duck session alone, in this one-month worth of legislative session, he won more legislative victories than some of his predecessors did in their entire years in office. In just one month, after he got slammed in the midterm elections, here are the legislative battles he won:
- he got his tax cuts bill passed
- he got unemployment benefits extended for the unemployed who lost their jobs to no fault of their own
- he got DADT repealed, which will allow homosexuals and bisexuals to openly serve in the armed forces
- he got the New START Treaty –a nuclear arms reduction deal with Russia -voted on in the Senate and passed with an overwhelming bipartisan majority (71-26 vote)
- he got the 911 Healthcare Bill for First Responders of the World Trade Center Terrorist Attacks passed unanimously
Those are some tough and serious legislative victories; they require that you have an iron spine to fight and win them. It was a tough year for the president. He got hit real hard in the midterm elections, but he recovered strongly and expeditiously.
The First Lady, the girls, and he -aboard Air Force One -flew out of Andrew Air Force Base to Hawaii for a well-deserved and relaxing two-week vacation.
Starting January, the 112th Congress is going to start its legislative operation. I can foresee some rough and tough arm twisting going on both sides of the political spectrum. Mind you, 2012 is already taking shape. So no need to mention it is going to get even more interesting than it has ever been. I just cannot wait!